Tuesday 19 January 2016

Letter to an Israelite - Exodus 16


Dear Israelite

This is one of those letters I write intrigued as to how much of the story I read has been adapted in the retelling and myth making.

Exodus 16 is clearly a passage which is seeking to teach the reader about God’s provision and about the consequences of disobeying God.

I find it interesting though because if there is some truth in it there is the implication that you had a bland and samey diet which was nourishing but boring. As I reflect on this I am thankful for the variety I have available to me but am also reminded that many people do rely on the same food day after day, which is given to them in refugee camps and the like. My varied diet is not something for me to take for granted but rather is clearly something to be very thankful for.

I have never really considered how boring life might have been for you before. You walked, you ate what you were given. I am not surprised that you got discontent and grumbled. Yet, you also clearly worked. What was it you did?

Was it boring keeping at home on the Sabbath day or was it ok? Did you get to spend quality time with your family or was it a time of tension and conflict as people were enclosed and unable to mix and go about their business. Alternatively, were you so shattered that you slept much of the time on that day? Is that why you needed to rest.

I find this concept of rest fascinating as I have learnt over the last few months to take this concept more seriously. I have discovered rest is not something to feel guilty about rather it is something which can be balanced in and enjoyed. In the life I have it is not always Sunday, but it is there more often than not now. I am aware though that for many this concept is increasingly difficult. Particularly for those everyday people in the church who have responsibilities on top of their paid jobs.

Was there a lot of conflict going on between you and Moses? It seems that he was like many of our modern politicians and leaders. Sometimes you thought he was wonderful, at other times he really did your head in.

No comments:

Post a Comment