Tuesday 10 May 2016

Initial feelings of being a partner of a trans person

In doing the thinking out loud as I put together paper for the Twilight People Symposium on Trans and Faith last week I am aware it got a bit academic.

I want to see if I can put together some posts which might be a bit more useful for those people actually going through the journey too. I also want to eventually get to looking at this using some biblical material to help people of faith think it through that way.

In terms of doing this I am going to keep to the three questions that arise from Jake Lever’s excellent art work The Blue, The Gold and The Dim:
 

1.    What does your journey feel like?

2.    How has your journey been different to what you expected?

3.    What sustains you as you travel in your boat?

 
Today I’m going to look at what does your journey feel like? As I do this I need to explain we are now several years into the process of my husband’s transition. He has been through process of coming out, accessing the medical services, having his top surgery and is due to have his hysterectomy in the summer.

It’s been a scary journey, especially in the early stages. I didn’t really understand what was going on and was scared. I was scared about what the person I loved was saying. Even though I had identified before he said anything something of what was going on it messed with my head. I live in a world when it’s much easier to think in terms of the binary (i.e. male and female).

I was scared by how scared he was. There were a lot of tears and I knew he was really hurting inside. I also had an awareness that a lot of trans people end up taking their own lives and that scared me lots. I was worried that he wouldn’t make it through.

I was scared about how other people would react to him. He had talked about fears of being attacked and that got me really scared. As time went on that fear subsided but I was upset that he got aggro, especially one morning when he went to the loo in a coffee shop. This was overcome a bit when we worked out where had the gender neutral toilets and were able to plan things like where we did coffee around this.

I was scared that he would never understand how I felt about it. I was supportive but I was supportive because I saw it as being like a disability. The transition was about fixing something that had gone wrong. I know this annoyed him because he doesn’t see it like that, but it is the only way that I can understand it.

I was scared that because I was gay I wouldn’t be able to stay with him when he transitioned and if we did things would never be the same in the bedroom.

Then I was scared about the impact of surgery and if it would all go ok.

I was scared about how you talk about it and when.

I was scared that the church might reject us both and I was scared that his employers might not be great.

I was scared it might damage what felt like a fragile relationship with his parents.

There was a lot of fear around as you can see. But as my journey has gone on my journey, our journey, has felt a lot different to expected.

Where I expected him to face rejection by the church and work he has on the whole experienced love. That’s not to say there haven’t been people who have used the bible to be transphobic, but on the whole there has been love. People tend to be much more loving and understanding then we often give them credit for.

Where I expected our relationship to fall apart it nearly did, but we got through that largely by hugs. We found a way to talk about things….somehow…and we cried lots but we didn’t let this destroy us.

Where I expected him to fall apart he actually began to blossom. As he stopped repressing things he actually became a much happier person and that made life easier.

In terms of the reactions of others they weren’t as bad as expected and when he did get hassle we learnt how to handle it, as I say primarily by identifying the safe toilets.

We learnt to stop living in fear and to enjoy each day much more.

His parents did struggle and that was an interesting one. I listened and made sure I used the right pronouns as I affirmed I understood some of the things they were saying about how they felt.

One strategy I found really useful was to ensure we went out to eat when he had had a medical appointment. It was easier to talk about it over dinner because it was less likely to end up in an argument or misunderstanding. I guess in a public setting you just ask the questions you need to know like “how long?” “what next?” and so on. You both have to keep your emotions under control as you discuss scary things.

I found it useful to go clothes shopping with my husband and whilst he developed his style I was able to help discuss what I thought would work. This also helped me know his style so if I were shopping alone for him I would be more likely to get it right (e.g. at Christmas).

If I were putting forward a resource to help trans people and their partners I would put the following questions together as things to talk about:

1.    What are you scares you about your partner transitioning?

2.    Which of these things do you think you can control?

3.    Which of these are the really hard things you won’t be able to control?

4.    What relates to your partner and what relates to your feelings about yourself?

5.    Who do you know who it will be safe to talk about these fears with?

6.    How would I like my partner’s life to be if they are transitioning?

7.    How can I help them blossom whilst ensuring I don’t wither?

8.    How do I understand the process of transition?

9.    Is there any more information I need to get about what’s involved and if so where do I get that information?

10. Where my safe place is and what am I going to do when it all seems overwhelming?

At that point it will be useful to know of some support groups and good sources of information. Note the list is not exhaustive and I would suggest if there is a LGBT centre or organisation near you that you get hold of them in the first instance to find out about local groups:

 

 


 

DiverseChurch (for 18-30 year old Christians)

 

For Parents:

 
 
 

          DiverseChurch Parents (Group for Christian parents)

No comments:

Post a Comment